Friday 16 May 2014

Lychee Cheesecake (non bake)

 
 
 Lychee cheesecake, I put this together after having a huge hit with my peach cheesecake by my readers. I used tin Lychees in syrup but I find them quite sweet so I used less icing sugar in this recipe compared to the peach cheesecake, using only 1 tbsp of lemon juice for a less sharp citrus taste as I didn't want it to overpower the flavour of the lychees.  This works really well and the gelatine used is the perfect amount to hold it together as a cheesecake.  I added berries for the decorations as Lychees are so pale and white.  Giving it some red and blue colours makes this cheesecake look more attractive.
Don't you think?
 

You need a 7 or 8 inch lose bottom baking tin, line the bottom only.
 
Biscuit base:
150g digestive biscuits
75g butter
 
Melt the butter and crush the biscuits, mix together and pour into the lined baking tin, press firmly and chill for 30 mins.
 
Ingredients:
300g cream cheese
200g whipping cream
120g lychee puréed
10g gelatin + 50g water
50g +  20g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
 
To decorate:
Lychees
strawberries
raspberries
blueberries
 
Method:
 
 
 Purée 120g of lychees
 
 
 Dissolve the gelatine in water and soak for 5 minutes then melt into liquid, set aside.
You can do this by heating it in short bursts in the microwave.
 
 
Squeeze 1 tbsp of lemon juice, and add to the puréed lychees.
 
 
Whisk the cream cheese with 50g icing sugar.
 
 
Whisk cream with 20g icing sugar.
 
 
Add the gelatine to the puréed lychees and fold into the cream cheese mixture,
 now fold the mixture into the whipped cream.
I added a few chopped lychees to this as I like to have some fruits in pieces in my cheesecake but you can leave this out.
 
 
Once the mixture have been combined, pour into the baking tin with the prepared biscuit base.
 
 
Smooth out and chill over night or for at least 4 hours.
 
 
To release from the tin, use a hot flannel or a hair dryer and go around the sides to slightly melt the cheesecake for easy removal.
( see picture above)
 
 
I whipped 100g of cream and added 1 tbsp of icing sugar and piped blobs around the cheesecake then pushed it down on one side with a warm spoon, this is for decorating purpose, you don't have to do this.
 
Add fruits of your choice with extra lychees for decoration.
Your Lychee cheesecake is ready to serve.
 




 
 


26 comments:

  1. 哇~好美!好想来一块...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    Can I know what type of cream is it that u piped as blobs?

    JanIce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, it's the same cream I used for the cream cheese filling as I have bought 300g tub of fresh cream so 200g went into the cheesecake and the 100g to decorate.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mandy for your reply.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Mandy, just to confirm with you is it using 50g lychee syrup + 20g icing sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's 50g icing sugar for the cream cheese and 20g of icing sugar is for the whipped cream.

      Delete
  4. Can I skip the lychee puree?i just like it plain instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't taste as good but then you can try it if you like.

      Delete
  5. Have to whisk that whipped cream until stiff or just mix it well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mandy,
    Can share how u puree the lychee? Is it with the syrup or pure lychee? 120g means mixture of lychee and syrup to make it to 120g?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use all lychees and add little syrup for some liquid. Blend until purée. Just as long as it's 120g then it be just the right texture.

      Delete
  7. Hi I used this recipe.made yesterday noon, but till now, it's still move as I tilt the cake. Is it supposed to be this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no it should set enough like shown in the pictures, sometimes gelatine isn't mixed in evenly or poured in the cream cheese mixture while too warm can make gelatine set in clumps. Make sure it is cool before you pour it and mix quickly.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mandy, appreciate if you could elaborate more about the gelatine. I melted it in hot water and let it cool a little before adding to the lychee. However, the gelatine started forming clumps once I added. When should I add the gelatine and should I add it to the cream cheese mixture instead (like other recipes online)?

      Delete
    3. It could be that you're lychee purée is too cold. I have always added the gelatine to liquid but you can add to the cream cheese.

      Delete
  8. hi mandy, i can't get lychee in australia now, do u think i can use longan instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi phoebeluv,
      Absolutely! Longan will be just as good!

      Delete
  9. Can I cut the whipping cream or use some other to substitute? it's hard to get whipping cream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use heavy cream or thick Greek yoghurt

      Delete
  10. Hi Mandy, can plain yoghurt (nestle,marigold or etc) replace witj whipping cream? If it is ok, need to whisk with 20g of icing sugar too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By replacing yoghurt would make the mixture too loose, you will have to add more gelatine, as whipping cream makes the mixture smooth and creamy.

      Delete
  11. Hi Mandy. Loved your cheesecake. Can I replace gelatine with agar agar powder or flakes? If so, how much should I use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried agar agar in replace of gelatin.

      Delete
  12. Hi Mandy, am using 9 inch baking tin, will the cake look very thin?or I need to increase all the ingredients? How much should I increase?Thank you.

    ReplyDelete