Saturday 31 May 2014

Chocolate cheesecake

 
 

Friday morning, kids are both at school, I have the morning free but it was absolutely chucking it down today.  I wasn't in the mood for shopping so what can I do?
Shall I make a cheesecake? Oh why not haha..
 
I thought I could bake a simple chocolate cheesecake but I ended up piping chocolate to decorate the cheesecake. As usual, I like to make my cakes to look pretty.
 
And here I made this chocolate cheesecake with piped chocolate deco and strawberries.
And what is so great about this? It doesn't have to be baked in a water bath. And yes, it cracked but we are going to cover it with ganache.
 
 

Let's make the biscuit base first.
 
Ingredients:
 
100g Oreo cookies (discard the cream)
50g melted butter

Method:
 
 Line the base of an 8 inch spring form tin.
Crush the Oreo cookies and add the melted butter.
Press firmly into the base of the tin and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Chocolate cream cheese filling:
 
450g cream cheese
120g caster sugar
200g dark chocolate
2 eggs
1.Tsp vanilla extract
140g sour cream
 
Method:
 
Melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
 
 Stir gently until it has melted and set aside to cool.
 
 Whisk cream cheese with the sugar until combined.
Add egg one at a time and whisk to combine.
Add vanilla extract and mix well.
 
 Add the sour cream and fold.
 
 
 
 Pour the melted chocolate.
 
 
 Beat quickly to combine as the chocolate will set as soon as it mix in with the cream cheese mixture.
 
 Once it has all combined get the baking tin from the fridge and fill it with the cream cheese mixture.
 
Spread out evenly and smooth off the top.
 
 Bake in a preheated oven at 180c  for 1 hour, after baking leave to cool in the oven for an hour.
Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or best overnight.
 
This baked cheesecake does not require a water bath as you want to dry out the cheesecake. Though this will make the cheesecake crack but it doesn't matter as it will be covered up with ganache.
 
You can pipe chocolate patterns to decorate the cheesecake.
I made triangle shapes ad swirly lines inside it.
You can try my design by drawing a template first and place a piece of baking paper over it and pipe the shape.
 
 
 
I use decorating chocolates to pipe patterns as they set quicker than the normal chocolates we eat. 
Here is a short video of how I piped the shapes.
 
 
Once the cheesecake have completely chilled, remove from the spring form tin.
 
Make half of the ganache from this recipe here
 
 Once the ganache has cooled, coat it around the cheesecake.
 
 
Smooth out any uneven parts and cracks on the top.
 Start assembling the chocolate patterns and strawberries.
 
 
Chill again in the fridge for 2 hours and it is ready to serve.
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow mandy! Looks so so yum... bt v r vegetarians.... can u please suggest what to substitute fr eggs... and sour c ream is not easily available... can it b made at home?...looking forward to your reply...thanks a ton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know what you can substitute with the eggs as I have always used egg in my baked cheesecakes. I can only suggest to try making a non bake cheesecake as it doesn't use eggs or sour cream. Have you seen the mango cheesecake I made? Recipe is in the recipe section.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! This looks so delicious! Beautifully made! I'm your new follower! Do visit my space too sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandy, may I know how u transfer the cake from the spring form pan onto the cake board?

    ReplyDelete