Monday 24 February 2014

Blood Orange sponge cupcakes


Blood Oranges are very juicy and the ones I bought tastes no difference to a normal orange.
My daughter wasn't too keen on the look of it and now refuse to eat it.
 I decide to make orange sponge cupcakes hoping the kids will still eat it in cake form haha...
And yes they did, I think I have to bake with more fruits as my son still refuse to eat any fruits.

This sponge cupcake is very soft and as the egg batter is whisked to ribbon stage, the stabilised egg batter have made this cake really spongy and springs back when I pressed it.

Here is a video of how spongy the sponge cake is.

I only have a 6 hole muffin tin so I managed to get 6 large cupcakes and 3 small square chiffon cup cases with this recipe.
If you have a 12 hole muffin tin then you can get 9 cupcakes out of it.
 
 



This recipe is on of the easiest cupcakes I have made and it takes 40 minutes to prepare and bake.

Ingredients: 
25g corn oil
35g orange juice
zest from the orange
3 eggs
95g caster sugar
100g plain flour
pinch of salt

 

 Weigh out the oil and orange juice and mix together, set aside.
 
 
 Whisk the eggs with the sugar together.

 

 I have whisked for 7-8 minutes and you want to get it to light, pale and fluffy.
That is the ribbon stage.
 
 
Add the zest and the flour in 3 separate stages, fold to combine.

You can watch the video here how I mixed the flour into the stabilised egg batter.

 

 Once all the flour have been combined in the egg batter, add the oil & juice carefully and making sure it has all combined well into the cake batter.

At this stage, I used a rubber spatula to fold as the liquid always fall to the bottom of the bowl, the spatula can mix it evenly.
 
 Pour the batter into large cupcake cases to 90% full in a muffin tin.
Bake in a preheated oven at 190c for 20 minutes.
 


 
Here are 3 stages of the cupcakes baking in the oven in the course of every 5 minutes.

After 20 minutes the cupcakes should look like this, it has a beautiful golden brown top which is dry to touch.

 

Leave to cool on a wire rack and it is ready to eat!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment